Navigation ToggleSearch Toggle

Your rights

While people’s rights are protected in legislation, sometimes advocacy support may be necessary. Many people can advocate on their own behalf to ensure their rights are upheld. However, others may seek assistance from friends or organisations.

Making a complaint

People with disability and their families and carers have the right to make a complaint about a service provided by the Disability Services Commission or about other service providers (by contacting the relevant organisation's complaints office).


Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act (1992)
Western Australian Equal Opportunity Act (1984, amended 1988) 

Support links

Consumer rights for people with disability
The Department of Commerce’s Consumer Protection offers a variety of resources to assist consumers with disability understand their rights when they buy something or enter into a contract.

Australian Human Rights Commission
The Commission provides information on areas which include disability rights, age and race discrimination, human rights, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders social justice matters.

Concessions WA
Government of Western Australia concessions including legal matters.

Health and Disability Services Complaints Office

This independent statutory authority works to improve the delivery of health and disability services in Western Australia.

Ministerial Advisory Council on Disability
The Ministerial Advisory Council on Disability was established as a means of keeping Government informed about major issues affecting the lives of people with disabilities, their families and care givers.

The Ombudsman resolves complaints about the decision-making of public authorities. The Ombudsman is also an officer of the Parliament, independent of the government of the day and acts impartially of all parties in dispute. Services are free and available to everyone.