Navigation ToggleSearch Toggle

Support for families and carers

Those closest to family members with disability often play an important caring role. Carers can include mums and dads, sons and daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, spouses, as well as friends and neighbours.

The organisations below provide support for families and carers.

Carer Gateway is an Australian Government initiative providing a mix of free online, telephone and in-person supports, services and advice, for family carers in Australia. Carer Gateway in-person services are being delivered throughout the states and territories by a network of Carer Gateway Service Providers. In Western Australia, Carers WA is leading the delivery of these in-person services, in partnership with HelpingMinds.

To access relevant supports and services, carers must undergo a carer support planning process to assess their needs. Carers WA has a dedicated Carer Gateway team who can be reached Monday to Friday 8.00am – 5.00pm (1800 422 737). 
Carers WA offer a range of innovative programs and services aimed at providing practical and emotional support. The organisation is open Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm (phone: 1300 227 377).

Centrelink family assistance

Crisis Care is a 24-hour Western Australian Government telephone service for people needing urgent assistance (phone 1800 199 008, TTY: 9325 1232).

Department of Social Services provides information about families and children, housing support, seniors, communities and vulnerable people, disability and carers, ageing and aged care, and settlement and multicultural affairs.

Kalparrin has a drop-in centre at Princess Margaret Hospital and can provide information about specific disabilities and conditions, services, equipment, agencies and entitlements (phone: 9340 8094, freecall: 1800 066 413).

The Bringing Up Great Kids website, developed by the Australian Childhood Foundation, provides parenting advice and support.

The Kids help line is available Australia-wide, 24 hours a day, seven days a week (freecall: 1800 551 800).